Important Information About LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) Tablets
Read the Patient Information that comes with LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets before you start taking them each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This Web page does not take the place of talking with your doctor about your condition or treatment. If you have any questions about LIPITOR, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Who Should Not Take LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) Tablets?
Do not take LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets if you:
- Are pregnant or think you may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant. LIPITOR may harm your unborn baby. If you get pregnant, stop taking LIPITOR and call your doctor right away
- Are breast feeding. LIPITOR can pass into your breast milk and may harm your baby
- Have liver problems
- Are allergic to LIPITOR or any of its ingredients. The active ingredient is atorvastatin
What Are the Possible Side Effects of LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) Tablets?
LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets can cause serious side effects. These side effects have happened only to a small number of people. Your doctor can monitor you for them. These side effects usually go away if your dose is lowered or LIPITOR is stopped.
These serious side effects include:
- Muscle problems. LIPITOR can cause muscle problems like weakness, tenderness, or pain that happen without a good reason, especially if you also have a fever or feel more tired than usual. This may be an early sign of a rare muscle problem.
- Liver problems. Your doctor should do blood tests to check your liver before you start taking LIPITOR and if you have symptoms of liver problems while you take LIPITOR. Call your doctor right away if you have the following symptoms of liver problems:
- feel tired or weak
- loss of appetite
- upper belly pain
- dark amber colored urine
- yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
Call your doctor right away if:
- You have muscle problems like weakness, tenderness, or pain that happen without a good reason, especially if you also have a fever or feel more tired than usual
- You have muscle problems that do not go away even after your doctor has advised you to stop taking LIPITOR. Your doctor may do further tests to diagnose the cause of your muscle problems.
- You have allergic reactions including swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and/or throat that may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing, which may require treatment right away
- You experience nausea and vomiting
- You pass brown or dark-colored urine
- You feel more tired than usual
- Your skin and whites of your eyes get yellow
- You have stomach pain
- You have an allergic skin reaction
In clinical studies, patients reported the following common side effects while taking LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets:
- Upset stomach
- Muscle and joint pain
- Alterations in some laboratory tests
The following additional side effects have been reported with LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets:
- Tendon problems
- Memory loss
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have side effects that bother you or that will not go away. These are not all the side effects of LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a complete list.
Before You Start LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) Tablets
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have muscle aches or weakness
- Drink more than 2 glasses of alcohol daily
- Have diabetes
- Have a thyroid problem
- Have kidney problems
Some medicines should not be taken with LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets. Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including:
- Prescription and nonprescription medicines
- Herbal supplements
LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets and certain other medicines can interact, causing serious side effects. Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicines, especially those for:
- Your immune system
- Birth control
- Heart failure
- HIV or AIDS
Know all the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your doctor and pharmacist.
LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets are not for everyone, including anyone who has previously had an allergic reaction to LIPITOR. It is not for those with liver problems. And it is not for women who are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant.
If you take LIPITOR® (atorvastatin calcium) tablets, tell your doctor if you feel any new muscle pain or weakness. This could be a sign of rare but serious muscle side effects. Tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and all medications you take. This may help avoid serious drug interactions. Your doctor should do blood tests to check your liver function before starting LIPITOR and during your treatment if you have symptoms of liver problems. Tell your doctor if you have diabetes. Elevated blood sugar levels have been reported with statins, including LIPITOR.
Common side effects are diarrhea, upset stomach, muscle and joint pain, and changes in some blood tests.